Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Recording Session with the kids

I invited the kids to the studio that I built to record some traditional Cambodian music and introduce them to some of the technology involved. I hired a young student, Sinat, to perform for the kids. Although he is usually a bit shy he really warmed up and was able to answer a ton of their questions. We had him play three instruments and went through the whole process of figuring out where exactly the sound comes from, where to place the microphone, how the signal travels etc. The kids were totally into it, they asked great questions and much to my happiness were just as into the music side of things as they were into the mechanical side of it. We recorded a CD and they walked away with a finished product. I was also really impressed with how well my engineers did as teachers to the little ones. So satisfying! My hope is that this turns into a long term relationship of some sort. Each one teach one...



No comments: